Last updated: August 12, 2017
WHAT: Today we’re announcing an upcoming Wickr Me update: new crypto protocol, stability and usability fixes and many more changes.
WHEN: The Wickr Me update is now available in app stores and on Wickr website for desktop.
HOW: You need to update Wickr Me App on all devices and login using your Wickr ID and password. Your contacts will be in the new app; however, any previous messages will not be carried over to the updated app.
IMPORTANT!!! There is no password reset on Wickr Me – we don't know who our users are which prevents us from verifying users to reset their password.
Please ensure you remember your password, without it, you will not be able to login to Wickr Me. If you use TouchID on your phone, we recommend trying to login to your account via a secondary device to ensure you indeed have the correct password. Please see below for further details:
YOU KNOW YOUR WICKR ID & PASSWORD. HOORAY!!!
- Make sure you DO remember your Wickr ID so you can use it to login to your account once Wickr Me is updated. Here is where to find it IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY LOGGED INTO YOUR APP: Settings > General > Account: at the top of the screen.
- MAKE SURE you DO know your Wickr Me password. You will have 10 attempts to login before you are locked out of your account for 24 hours.
- If automatic updates are enabled on your devices, Wickr Me will do its work and upgrade.
- If you don’t have auto update enabled, you will need to update HERE.
- Login to updated Wickr Me. You will see your contacts; no past conversations will be available.
- Send messages – you are back in touch with your important contacts on Wickr Me. Enjoy your privacy!
You forgot your password…Don’t worry!
- If you are certain you don’t have your password, avoid throwing your phone – we got ya!
- If you use TouchID on your phone and are currently logged in, write down the Wickr IDs of your most important contacts so you can connect with them from your new account.
- Create a NEW Wickr ID and password and please remember your new login/password.
- Update your Wickr Me app across all your devices by visiting this download page.
- Login to Wickr Me using your NEW Wickr ID and password. You will NOT see your old contacts.
- Reconnect with the important contacts you had on your old Wickr Me account, the ones you wrote down before creating a new Wickr Me ID. You are back in touch with your friends on an updated Wickr Me. Enjoy!
Messages to users who have not updated will not be sent:
- When you attempt to initiate a message from the updated Wickr Me to a user who HAS NOT updated their app, you will see a notification that the intended recipient(s) have not yet upgraded. You won’t be able to communicate with users on the older version of the app.
- However, to make the transition easier for users who have not yet updated, when you attempt to initiate a message from a newer version, we will do our best to ensure that they receive a notification that someone is trying to contact them on a new Wickr Me so they should update.
Wickr ID Connect & Contact Finder:
- If you use key verification, you will have to re-verify your contacts.
- Video key verification will take a more prominent place through UI/UX enhancement. SMS and email as other methods of verifying contacts will not be supported at this time in Wickr Me. Learn more about key verification here.
SECURITY & PRIVACY ENHANCEMENTS
We are beyond excited to share the progress we have made in applying the updated Wickr Messaging protocol (published on GitHub and documented here) to large group conversations, secure file transfer, and device security.
First off, the upgrade in the crypto protocol significantly improves the efficiency in key management for group conversations. A significantly lighter and faster protocol, wickr-crypto-c enables scalable, strong perfect forward and backward secrecy and ephemeral collaboration for Wickr Me users. This update enables users to easily join and leave groups making group chats become dynamic while maintaining the same level of security including e2e and PFS/PBS.
The design of the Wickr Messaging protocol has been vetted by top security researchers, including Wickr’s own advisors and 3rd party auditors. You can learn more about Wickr security here.
In a nutshell, the privacy and security of user content and accounts is enabled by the following:
- Account data is protected by scrypt to harden against off-line dictionary attacks;
- Message data is protected by AES-256 GCM and signed using ECDSA with Elliptic curve P521;
- Message keys are exchanged using ECDH with Elliptic curve P521 and HKDF;
- SHA512 is used as a hashing function for security critical operations.
As always, no phone number or email address is required to communicate on Wickr Me. Unlike any other secure messenger, Wickr Me users are anonymous to us; we collect no metadata and know nothing about the content of your communications.
We are bringing the top most requested features to Wickr Me: file transfer, message recall, Touch ID for Android, enhanced UI/UX for key verification and expiration settings. Learn more about these and other new features here.
Wickr will now deliver updates and new features to Wickr Me and Wickr Pro on the same release cycle. This will promote product stability and improve our ability to service the app across all platforms. Please share your feedback here in the event any of the above features are important to your use case.
Secure file sharing: With this update, files of any format, up to 10 MB, can now be shared via Wickr Me. On desktop, you can simply drag and drop a document or a photo to send it end-to-end encrypted with a set expiration timer. This feature supports collaboration and maximum data hygiene for parties who trust each other. If you do not trust the person you’re talking to, do not open files coming from them or send them photos/files you do not want to be saved.
Expiration settings: Wickr Me users will have a more visible and granular message retention controls via the expiration time and/or burn-on read time. You can control these settings for both 1:1 conversations and group chats.
Message recall: In addition to messages being ephemeral by default, Wickr Me users can now recall a message after it was sent – it will be deleted from every device participating in a conversation as soon as they come online.
Mentions: To manage notifications noise in your settings, you can turn off your notifications globally or turn them on only for messages directed to you.
Group Management: You can now leave a group conversation at any time.
Some features are not available in this Wickr Me update, including those least requested by our users. Please share your feedback here to help us prioritize the features to come next to Wickr Me. WE MEAN IT, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US, SO PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT FEATURES YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN FUTURE RELEASES OF WICKR ME.
Wickr Me features that will not be supported at this time include:
- Screenshot notifications on iOS;
- Message locks;
- Tap & Hold Image or Video to view;
- Conversation names;
- White list;
- Doodles & stickers;
- Multi-language support: more languages will be added in the coming months;
- Voice messages.
- View only images
As always, Wickr is committed to building the best security and user experience across our private communications tools. With this update, Wickr Me will move to the same regular update/release cycle as the rest of our business collaboration products to ensure that new features and privacy enhancements are available to all Wickr users. Wickr Me will continue undergoing regular security audits both internally and by independent 3rd party security research teams. Finally, as was recently recognized by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Wickr Me will remain committed to transparency and protecting user privacy.