June 28, 2013
Thank you for using Wickr! Wickr allows you to encrypt and send audio, video, voice, and text messages, so that you can communicate safely, securely, anonymously — and easily.
We work very hard to preserve your privacy and security, and we do our best to be as transparent as possible in explaining how we use your data in providing our Services. Please contact us if you have any questions at privacy at mywickr dot com.
Our Privacy Practices, in Brief:
Wickr has to collect some information from you in order to provide our Services to you, but we do so in a highly limited, highly secure way.
- We use military-grade encryption. Our encryption is based on 256-bit symmetric AES encryption, RSA 4096 encryption, transport layer security, and our proprietary algorithm.
- We canʼt see information you give us. Your information is always disguised with multiple rounds of salted, cryptographic hashing before (if) it is transmitted to our servers. Because of this we donʼt know — and canʼt reveal — anything about you or how you use the Wickr App.
- Deletion is forever. When you delete a message, or when a message expires, our “secure file shredder” technology uses forensic deletion techniques to ensure that your data can never be recovered by us or anyone else.
- You own your data. We do not share or sell any data about our users. Period.
What Information Does Wickr Collect, and How Is It Used?
We are committed to limiting our collection of your information to what is necessary to provide you with our Services.
We only collect information from users who create Wickr Accounts. You must create a Wickr Account to use the Wickr App.
What We Donʼt Collect: Equally important to us is the information we donʼt collect. We will NEVER collect any location information or have access to the contents of the communications you send using the Wickr App. After messages are deleted (or after they expire), they are forensically deleted and are not retrievable by us or anyone else. (Remember, however, that if you send a Wickr message to another Wickr user, that message might remain on their device even after you delete it from yours, depending on the value you set for the self-destruct time of that message.)
User-Provided Information: We collect some very limited information from you after you download the Wickr App in order to allow you to create a Wickr Account, and begin using the Wickr App.
- Your Wickr ID: Your Wickr ID is how you allow others to contact you via Wickr. It does not have to be your real name or provide any reference to your identity. Like other information pertaining to your account, it is disguised with multiple rounds of salted, cryptographic hashing when we associate it with your Device Information (described below). The purpose of this cryptographic representation is to allow you to use our Services without our needing to know who you are.
- Your Password: We require you to have a password to use the Wickr App, but we never store your password on our servers and don’t store it by default in any form on your device. For your own security, we recommend that you use a long, unique password consisting of a mix of upper- and lower-case letters, numbers, and symbols.
Optional User-Provided Information: Within the Wickr App, we provide a few optional features for your convenience. Some of these features, described below, will ask for personal information. If you want to keep your use of Wickr as anonymous as possible, please read these sections carefully in order to understand how we associate information you provide with your Wickr Account.
- Push Notifications: When setting up your Wickr Account, we will ask if you want to receive notifications of new Wickr messages. Push notifications are functions of devices operating system, so if you enable this feature, your devices operating system’s manufacturer will know that you are using the Wickr App, but will not know anything about how you use it or be able to see anything you transmit through it.
- ID Connect: To allow your friends to find you on Wickr without knowing your Wickr ID, you may choose to associate your other contact information — currently, just your phone number or email address — with your Wickr ID. When you use this feature, we disguise your contact information with multiple rounds of salted cryptographic hashing for storage on our servers. This way, you can let your friends search for you on Wickr without revealing your contact information to us. If you use ID Connect to associate your phone number with your Wickr ID, we use a third party service solely to deliver a confirmation SMS to you, but that party will not receive any information about you other than your phone number, and the SMS message itself will contain no information except a confirmation link. Users age 13 and under may not use ID connect without an adult’s consent.
- Wickr Sync: Wickr Sync allows you to sync your Wickr Account across multiple devices. Because your Wickr Account is tied to your device during registration, this feature is necessary if you want to use the same Wickr ID on different devices. If you use Wickr Sync, we will store your Wickr Contacts (not your phone or device contacts) in encrypted form on our servers such that it is accessible to you only, and not us.
- Invitations: If you enable Wickr Invitations, the Wickr App will be able to access your deviceʼs contacts in order to invite them to use our Services. We never store your device contacts on our servers in any way. All invitations are generated locally on your device, without sharing any information with us.
- Contact Search: Contact Search allows you to search for contacts who have used ID Connect to associate their phone number or email address with their Wickr Accounts. If you use Contact Search, the Wickr App will send a disguised representation of your contacts phone number and email address to our servers, at which point our server will check that representation against our database to see whether that contact has an associated Wickr ID.
- Encrypting Cloud Data: The Wickr App will allow you to share PDFs and image files you have stored with cloud storage services Google Drive, Dropbox, and Box. The Wickr App will make encrypted copies of these files for sending as Wickr messages. Cloud storage of your files will be governed by those cloud storage services’ terms, conditions, and privacy policies, so please familiarize yourself with those documents before you use this feature.
- Auto-Login: By default, the Wickr App will automatically log out of your account after a set period of inactivity, and in order to use the Wickr App again, you will have to reenter your password. If you enable Auto-Login, you will be able to use the Wickr App after a period of inactivity without having to enter your password each time. While you will still benefit from Wickrʼs security (e.g., deletion, encryption, etc.) and may find that your user experience is more seamless, this option is less secure than the default logout and password requirements, and we suggest that users who enable Auto-Login retain other security measures on their devices, like enabling screen locks and PINs through your device settings.
- Crash Log: For the purpose of debugging and error correction as well as for system continuity, users might choose to send crash logs to Wickr when prompted by the app. The logs do not contain any user personal information and they pertain only to the Wickr App. The process is voluntary and users can choose not to send their crash logs to us at any time. Participating in errors/crash reporting will help Wickr to become a better app.
Automatically Collected Information: Wickr collects two types of information automatically during your setup and use of the Wickr App: Device Information and Aggregate Usage Data.
- Device Information: The Wickr App will collect your mobile device type and your mobile device’s hardware ID during registration, in order to connect that information with your account and to tie your account to your device.
- Aggregate Usage Data: During the operation of our services, we also collect aggregate, anonymous information about basic usage statistics, such as the number of messages sent by all Wickr users daily, what types of messages our users tend to send (e.g., voice messages more often than text), and so forth. We never attempt to (and cannot) identify users associated with any of this information.
What Information Does Wickr Share with Third Parties?
We do not share any user information we have with third parties, with the exception of the third-party service with whom we share your phone number for the sole purpose of sending you an SMS confirmation if you choose to associate your phone number with your Wickr ID.
Law Enforcement: We will only disclose User-Provided and Automatically Collected Information under these circumstances: When doing so is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation, or legal request; to protect the safety of any person; to address fraud, security, or technical issues; or to protect our rights or property. If it is legal and possible for us to do so, we will notify you of any request for your information before we preserve or disclose it, so that you have an opportunity to obtain counsel.
Remember that Wickr does not store your information in retrievable form. We can never access messages: it isn’t technologically possible for us.
You Can Deactivate Your Account
You can deactivate your account at any time. Once deactivated your account will be irrevocably suspended, insuring that nobody can us that Wickr ID again in order to prevent impersonation. If you wish to deactivate your account, turn Wickr Sync Off under Accounts, Log Out of the Wickr App then click the “Erase Account” button.
We Retain As Little Data As Possible, for the Least Time Possible
Data Retention on Wickrʼs Servers: Our servers store the encrypted messages that you send and receive only long enough to ensure their reliable delivery. Undelivered messages are deleted after a reasonable period of time. We retain non- message data (i.e. Types of messages) for as long as you use the Wickr Services and for an indefinite time thereafter.
Data Retention on Your Device: All messages are stored encrypted on end users’ mobile devices. You choose your own retention policy for your messages by choosing how long a message is saved before it is deleted (via the self-destruct time for sent messages and manual deletion for your device). Deleted messages cannot be recovered.
We Are Serious About Security
However, as security experts, we know that no security system can prevent all potential security breaches. Therefore we have limited the potential implications of such a breach by designing our system so that in the event of a breach, we would have the least possible information about you.
Children and COPPA
We do not know (or even collect) any information about our users that would identify them, their ages, or their personal contact information to us. Nor do we target our Services toward any particular group of users. We do not store any users information in retrievable form and only contact users via push notifications and popup message to advise them of software updates or other general administrative or technological notices. Any information provided to us (e.g., an email address we receive if a user emails us for support) will be used only to respond to that individual request, and will not be stored or reused in any way.
In order to comply with the COPPA, Wickr does not allow Users age 13 and under to use ID Connect without an adults’ permission.
Users Outside the US Are Subject to US Laws
If you use our Services and reside outside the U.S., your information will be transferred to the U.S. and will be processed and stored there under U.S. privacy standards. By using our Services and providing information to us, you consent to such transfer to and processing in the U.S.
You are responsible for complying with any laws or regulations in your country that govern use of applications and services like Wickr.
Contact Us if You Have Questions
If you have any questions regarding privacy while using our Services, or have questions about our practices, please contact us via email at privacy at mywickr dot com.